Fast computation of some matrices useful in statistics
Yet another R package for matrices. It contains a small set of functions to fast computation of some matrices and operations useful in statistics.
Latest release (September 18, 2020) of fastmatrix package have implemented the following functions:
- Array multiplication (see for instance, Appendix A of Wei, 1998).
- Column-equilibration for rectangular matrices.
- Fast computation of Hadamard product using unrolled loops.
- Inner products and norms for matrices.
- Interface to C code callable by another C code from other R packages.
- Lp norms for vectors.
- Operations envolving the commutation matrix, with minimum requeriments of storage.
- Operations envolving the duplication matrix, with minimum requeriments of storage.
- Operations envolving the symmetrizer matrix, with minimum requeriments of storage.
- Power method to compute the dominant eigenvalue and its associated eigenvector.
- Procedures for the LU factorization of square matrices.
- Sherman-Morrison formula.
- Sweep operator for symmetric matrices.
- vec and vech operators to handle rectangular and square matrices.
Our plan in the near future is the implementation of functions to handle:
- Elimination matrices.
- Some special matrices and operations arising in numerical analysis.
Latest binaries and sources for fastmatrix are availables from CRAN package repository
To install this package, start R and enter:
Alternatively, you can download the source as a tarball or as a zip file. Unpack this file (thereby creating a directory named, fastmatrix) and install the package source by executing (at the console prompt)
Next, you can load the package by using the command:
Please report any bugs/suggestions/improvements to Felipe Osorio, Universidad Tecnica Federico Santa Maria. If you find these routines useful or not then please let me know. Also, acknowledgement of the use of the routines is appreciated.
To cite the fastmatrix package in publications use:
Osorio, F., Ogueda, A. (2020). fastmatrix: Fast computation of some matrices useful in statistics.
R package version 0.2-357. URL: faosorios.github.io/fastmatrix
About the Authors
Felipe Osorio is an Assistant Professor at Department of Mathematics, Universidad Tecnica Federico Santa Maria, Chile.
Alonso Ogueda is a student of the Master of Mathematics offered by the Department of Mathematics, Universidad Tecnica Federico Santa Maria, Chile.